Kotak Mahindra group has been one of India’s most reputed financial conglomerates. In February 2003, Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd, the group’s flagship company was given the license to carry on banking business by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). This approval created banking history since Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd. is the first non-banking finance company in India to convert itself in to a bank as Kotak Bank Ltd. Kotak Bank has over 440 branches and 967 ATMs, which are spread all over India, not just in the metros but in Tier II cities and rural India as well.
The Kotak Bank wanted to maximize customer value by delivering real time, complex, multi-channel, multi-wave campaigns to its customers across various stages of the customer lifecycle. Kotak had to process data from 30 systems across its financial services products and it had invested in –
- IBM Campaign for building cross-channel campaign management capabilities and targeting millions of individuals, with the right message at the right time through the right channel.
- IBM EMessage to extend IBM Campaign capabilities to email and other outbound digital campaigns with the ability to create, preview, test, execute, and track messages.
- IBM Detect to build effective, event-based marketing programs and boost cross-sell and retention rates and improving on-boarding programs
- IBM Interact to provide real-time personalized experiences for customers interacting with websites, call centers and other inbound marketing channels.
- IBM Cognos for reporting, analysing, score-carding, and monitoring of events and metrics
Xerago was tasked to execute the implementation of all these modules of the IBM Unica Suite and integrate that with their communication channels (Email, SMS, Website and Call Centre).
After reviewing the current environment, marketing infrastructure and business impact, Xerago realized that a mere implementation of the IBM Suite alone would not be sufficient. All the data derived from 30 different sources had to be integrated with the IBM Suite. The trouble was that the 30 data sources were disparate and generated data at different frequencies and in different formats such as TXT, CSV, Excel, ASCII, Database files etc. Based on this, Xerago developed a project plan that would be executed in two phases.
- The installation, customization and configuration of IBM suite for increasing marketing velocity
- The development of an Online Data Store to capture the data from the 30 different systems and integrate it with the IBM Suite for improved targeting and accuracy
In the first phase, Xerago configured, customized and implemented IBM Campaign, IBM EMessage, IBM Detect, IBM Interact and IBM Cognos in three environments – Development, Test and Production. The IBM suite was customized during deployment and Xerago set up processes for migration – from development to test to production.
Xerago integrated IBM Campaign with the Email, SMS and ATM Campaign Manager and integrated IBM Interact with Net Banking. The “Do Not Call” management was configured in the IBM Campaign, campaign prioritization logic was set up, the response attribution procedure was deployed and customized contact history for 1 year could be generated.
Xerago went on to integrate IBM Campaign with Siebel CRM which was used in Call Centre and Relationship management and trained the end users at Kotak Bank, giving them two months of technical support after this.
In the second phase, Xerago analyzed various the data sources at Kotak Bank, developed an Online Data Store and wrote ETL (extract, transform, load) programs to source data from the sources and store in the Online Data Store. Xerago integrated the IBM Suite with this Online Data Store so it could access the data, segment it and increase campaign relevancy.
Overall, the solution was able to address Kotak Bank’s diverse customer base across products with effective, and relevant communication in real time based on customer actions. And Kotak Bank was able to drive targeted marketing campaigns to the right customer, at the right time through the right channel to maximize customer value.
Xerago successfully deployed the IBM Suite across three environments at Kotak Bank and was able to achieve a seamless integration between the IBM Suite and the 30 disparate channels with zero impact on daily business operations. As a result, Kotak Bank was able to deliver complex, multi-channel, multi-wave campaigns across the customer life cycle in real time.
Given below are the 30 disparate data sources that were integrated with IBM Suite.
- BCIF (customer info file) – demographics
- Siebel OLAP (segment the customers) and Siebel Campaign Response
- Reliability- MIS
- Net banking, SMS Banking, Mobile Banking, Phone Banking, ATM (Registration & Usage across channels), E-statement
- Mutual Funds System & MF-Others
- Core (Asset data e.g. AL, PL, HL, BL, LAP, LAS, Gold Loan, Ed Loan, CVL, CE, Agri, Other loans)
- Metagrid system (Gold transactions)
- Life Insurance – Life Asia ^
- Vision plus – Credit Cards
- Contact Centre Inbound calling database
- Bill Desk (all utility payments)
- Payment Gateway transactions
- NEFT / RTGS
- TBMS (charging customers)
- Debit Card System
- Trade Forex & Retail Forex
- Click to Remit (C2R)
- Clearing System (ECS etc.)
- Alert Services
- Pension System
- Tax (Direct Tax & VAT)
- Non-life Insurance
- Financial Inclusion
- Trading Account (Kotak Securities)
- SAS database / scoring