HDFC Bank limited is a leading Indian provider of financial services and one of India’s largest banks by market capitalization and by assets. The Bank has more than 50 million customers.
HDFC Bank constantly offers new products and services to its customers. The Bank was looking to market its growing products & services to leverage its customer base, to optimize its returns and bottom-line revenue, and increase customer profitability through deeper and stronger customer relationships.
The bank was running just around 100 campaigns annually on its existing base of 30 Million customers. The campaigns did not evoke sufficient returns from base marketing and CRM efforts. The bank’s IT department manually generated the data required for these campaigns – which was a huge, cumbersome and time-consuming exercise.
HDFC Bank decided that marketing automation was the key to building marketing velocity that in turn would leverage opportunities better and maximize profitability from existing customers.
Xerago was selected as the marketing partner for identifying the right platform, driving the implementation and streamlining the campaign development and management.
Xerago analyzed HDFC Bank’s marketing environment and found out that a central, automated process was required to access data across systems as well as plan, design, test, optimize and execute marketing efforts across channels (direct mail, email, SMS and call centers) This was because HDFC Bank’s customer data was scattered across multiple systems and communication strategies and market analysis existed in numerous excel spreadsheets making it nearly impossible to design and manage targeted marketing efforts manually.
Xerago identified that a mere implementation of marketing automation platform would not help HDFC Bank overcome the marketing velocity challenge. An effective solution would encompass:-
- The integration of stand-alone data sources from Operational CRM systems, Core Banking System, Data warehouse and other stand-alone product applications like Card Management System.
- The streamlining of the campaign development process
- Developing a capability for data transformation and preparation
- The implementation of the marketing automation platform components and configuration
- The creation of a culture of analytics-led marketing programs
To address all this, Xerago customized and implemented the Unica Enterprise Marketing Management suite – which could support robust modeling, customer analysis and had right-time interaction management capabilities. The Unica enterprise marketing suite provided:-
- an easy and intuitive analytical modeling capability, where vast amounts of data collected over multiple channels, systems and logs could be meaningfully integrated and rapidly analyzed
- a capability to connect to any data source or format and use it for analysis without the requirement of heavy data transformation procedures
- features that would allow working with bad, missing or incorrect data
- a wizard-based modeling module that allowed for the rapid scoring of customers based on hundreds of parameters and variables
- the seamless integration of an outbound campaign with channels like SMS, Email, Call center and Branch
In addition, Xerago built a library of predefined templates within Unica that was used to design, test, optimize, and execute various marketing campaigns. Xerago also assisted in setting up benchmark templates for HDFC Bank’s key marketing communications such as registration alerts and product and service cross sell, and models for activation propensity, response likelihood and usage.
HDFC BANK’s customer data which was scattered across multiple systems was integrated with the enterprise marketing management tool – this resulted in the Bank having a complete view of their customer’s activity across online channels & products/services.
Post implementation of the enterprise marketing management tool, Xerago assisted HDFC in the execution of multi-channel multi-wave campaigns. Given below is an example of a campaign:-
Xerago executed a credit card activation campaign to boost HDFC Bank’s card usage, using the Unica suite –
“New card holders who have been inactive for a period of 10 days were identified and segmented into a distinct group. Personalized email, SMS or Direct mails were sent. For cardholders who did not respond to the offer in the first wave, a second communication with a different message was sent. Then this campaign was automated so as to trigger communications once in every 10 days.”
This credit card activation campaign achieved an incremental activation rate of 30 percent as opposed to campaigns done without predictive modeling. Overall, Xerago helped HDFC Bank build marketing momentum and derive remarkable ROI from base marketing programs by simplifying processes and empowering data-driven automated campaigns.
- Record implementation of Enterprise Marketing Automation in 90 days
- Increased customer retention by 4%
- Increase in activation rates of 30%
- Reduced acquisition costs by 60% in campaigns
- Increased campaign volume by over 200% in six months
- Real-time automated analysis significantly reduced post-campaign reporting times and enabled performance to be monitored throughout a campaign.
- Advanced reporting capabilities like email metrics including open, click-thru, and conversion rates could be captured automatically.