Royal Sundaram Alliance – Increasing Online Insurance Sales
A large private sector general insurance company in India has been providing innovative general insurance solutions to individuals, families and businesses. Their products include Motor, Health, Personal Accident, Home and Travel Insurance to individuals and has wide specialized insurance offerings in Fire, Marine, Engineering, Liability and Business Interruption risks for commercial customers.
The Insurance Company was looking to get more people to use its Direct to Customer application (DTC) through which they could buy insurance products online. The Content Management System (CMS) that they were using was not working well for them. It had limited capabilities and required the maintenance team to directly upload files. Moreover the application didn’t work on mobile devices and tablets. And they approached Xerago to solve this.
Xerago analyzed the insurance company’s in-house CMS and found that;
- It was rigid and did not allow any scale- up easily.
- The existing DTC application was not responsive
- The cycle time for adding a single partner portal using DTC took 28 days
- Every modification or change to be effected on the website resulted in downtime
Based on the analysis and its years of experience working with several Content Management Systems for various clients, Xerago saw that a CMS platform switch was required. Xerago evaluated a host of Enterprise Content Management Systems to find a suitable CMS that they could use to manage content easily and also be one that provided unlimited scalability. Xerago recommended Liferay, a leading open source platform, offering content management, collaboration, and social out-of-the-box solutions, as an ideal CMS platform for them.
Xerago deployed Liferay in the insurance company’s environment and configured the DTC application as a portlet in the Liferay CMS platform. They could now easily manage the content in the application without taking the website down each time they made any changes. And by separating the front and back end functions of the DTC application, they could now easily create customized insurance products for its partners. Xerago also made the DTC portal responsive by utilizing the features of Liferay and enhanced the application’s usability.
- The insurance company now had a high-performance scalable platform to build their content with. It now takes about two days to build a custom portal for a partner company, when it used to take 28 days earlier! There is zero downtime and the corresponding business impact. They can now reload/load products without letting it affect the whole application.
- Overall, since the portal was now responsive and could render well on any device, the usability of the portal has increased dramatically.