Content Marketing Basics: Backlinking 101
If you’re new to content marketing, you must realize the importance of backlinks and its role in viewer engagement.
SEO for content marketing is always evolving, thanks to Google’s ever-changing algorithms. In the initial days, webmasters could litter their pages with specific keywords in order to rank higher in the SERPs. But now, it is quality, and not quantity, that Google looks for while determining the rank of a website.
Despite the increasingly strict algorithm standards, there are SEO methods that you can apply to your website to rank high. One amongst them is backlinks.
What are backlinks?
Backlink, as the name suggests, is a link back to a website. A backlink can be given natively or on a different site that points to yours.
For example, in your company blog, you can write text that links back to your homepage.
If your company has featured in Forbes, their anchor text will be your company name and the link would take readers back to your website.
The best backlinks come from sites with high authority, as decided by Google.
If your backlink appears on low ranking site, it can hurt yours, and if you backlink to a page on your own site, it’s won’t be as effective as one from a high-ranking site.
Quality backlinks to your blog or website will increase the page rank and SEO. Having said that, let’s take a look at how backlinks work and how to gain them on high-ranking sites.
Backlinks from High-Quality or Authority Sites
Getting the valuable backlinks from high-quality or authority sites is not easy. You need to ensure that your link provides value to other website’s visitors at the same time adds to the quality of the website content.
Though you can’t always control what anchor text the 3rd party website will use for your site, you can only hope for the best.
But there are some effective approaches by which you can obtain backlinks. Some of them are:
- You can get your company’s leaders to write guest posts for 3rd party websites and publications. Then, they might ask for permission to include a link back to your company’s site either within their bios or in the blog posts.
- While announcing important updates about your company, send a press release to relevant websites and popular bloggers. Provide interviews with the company representatives, and demonstrate how your news will benefit readers of the website.
- Post your content on all your social media accounts (obviously!). When your content features another company or an influencer, include links to their websites and accounts within your post. This will make them promote your content to their audiences.
- You can target other influencers in your niche by signing up for industry-specific forums and posting your content there. Also, you can join LinkedIn Groups relating to your business and share your latest content with other members.
- Carry out research and discover articles that have been written about similar businesses within your industry. Pitch the authors of these articles on your company’s news or products.
- Develop valuable and shareable content assets such as infographics and videos and pitch them to other blogs with similar audiences or interests to use in exchange for a link back.
Backlinking to your own website
In order to get the maximum juice possible out of this backlinking technique, you should use a proper anchor text within your link.
Brian Dean of Backlinko says, when it comes to anchor text, “you want to have your keyword in the anchor text but you don’t want it to be only your keyword. A few years ago you could have only your keyword. Today it will help you rank high only in the short term. Google targets people who do only that.”
Furthermore, Dean says that if your keyword is “Blue denim,” you shouldn’t link only to those two words. Instead, link a page to the anchor text, “this page is about blue denim.”
Backlinking needs careful thought and consideration to adequately engage the visitors. That said, your focus should always be on developing quality content – Linking and promotions come next. If you implement these, you’re well on your way to ranking #1 in the search results.: