Video Marketing – the Moving Picture
We all know that videos are huge. Videos are the future. A few years from now, you may not even be reading an article. You would be watching it in some way! According to Cisco, almost 70% of internet traffic would be because of videos. Did you know that YouTube alone gets more than a billion unique visitors every month?
Everyone knows the power that videos have – if a picture painted a thousand words, then a video is equal to 1.8 million of them!! People look to videos for information as well as entertainment. And businesses are already seeing the importance of including videos as a part of their content marketing.
And why? Because the reach is incredible and if they catch a viewer’s attention, they will share it instantly with their circles. Research has found that if a person watches a video from a brand, he actually engages more with the brand.
- 70% of marketers say that video converts better than any other medium. People are more likely to buy something after watching a video about it
- About 100 million people watch videos every day!
- Users spend more time on websites with videos than those without
- Research finds that videos are great for smartphones – easy to get a quick idea of what it is all about
- Marketers say that the word “video” in email subject lines actually results in higher open and click through rates!
What’s not to love!
Having said this – what can marketers do with videos?
- They can use videos to build their brands – tell their story in the most engaging way possible. Since this is the best medium to use to get the attention of your audience, take care to make a compelling video that will get their attention and make them want to engage with you.
- They can advertise their product – tell the audience what a great product they have, and why users just absolutely need to have it. These videos can be posted on various Social Media platforms in order to drive traffic to their home page or their web pages.
- Videos can be used to teach – can be used for educational purposes. Difficult concepts can be explained. Car manufacturers can explain how the superior sensors in their vehicles work and can pick up any clues that can signal engine damage for instance.
And how can they do this?
- By making videos that go viral – if people like a video, they share it with their circle of folks. And that opens up a whole new playing field to a marketer and a business. The better the video is, the more people will share. And the more they share, the wider their reach becomes. So the key is to make a video that begs to go viral.
- By making users go back to the main home page or web page. Now some people upload videos in various Social Media platforms for viewers to watch. A better way to do this is to put a play button there – and link it back to the website. This way, the marketer has his audience right where he wants them to be.
- By making videos that highlight the strengths of your company. Find the great things that the business does, its major strengths and highlight it in a stellar video. Videos can tell a story so well and it is up to marketers to make use of this medium to convey a great picture about the business and its strengths.
- By making videos that can tell audiences how the business or their products work. The best way to do this is to make videos that first pick up on a problem and show how their product or service can solve that problem. Do this well, and they have a very interested group of people who will quickly convert into customers.
All this being said, it is important to remember that a marketer has only a few seconds to get his customers’ attention. 10 seconds to be precise. It is vital to make those precious moments count.
While all this is great, we need to keep in mind, some of the reasons why videos don’t work great with audiences –
- If the message of the video is not clear right from the word GO, people are not very happy with it. They even tend to switch their attention to something else, usually some other video and watch that instead. So it is very important to make sure that you do everything you can to get your viewers’ attention from the very first second. They say that you only have about 60 seconds to get your audience’s attention. That’s all you have. So make the most of it.
- The quality of the video is poor. If the playback quality is poor or if the video keeps buffering every few seconds, then you can lose the attention of your viewers very quickly. Don’t hold the camera (or worse, your phone) with an unsteady hand or at a different angle which forces everyone to hold their heads at a different angle to be able to watch it properly. So when you create a video, use the best technology possible and make ones that load quickly and offer great viewing to your audiences.
- A lot of people don’t like an ad before a video plays. It’s worse if the ad is the kind that you cannot skip! Or if there are ads that appear during the video – like commercial breaks – every now and then.
- You remember those annoying videos where the visuals move at a different pace from the audio? Make sure your video is not one of those!
- And one of the most important things, is the time that it takes for a video to load. People are not the most patient when it comes to waiting for a video to load. If it seems to take forever, then you have lost those viewers. They will quickly look for something else to watch.
So use the time effectively. Use your resources optimally. Avoid blunders that can put people off. And make videos that people will love!: