3 Rookie Social Media Marketing Mistakes
Everyone makes mistakes.
And on Social Media, the list can be endless!
These mistakes can cost you – can affect the success of your efforts which can, in turn, make you abandon social media marketing altogether. So it might be a good idea to watch out for these mistakes and make sure you don’t make them!
If you are just getting your toes wet in the waters of Social Media, there are some mistakes that most beginners make and can be easily avoided. Here are three of them!
I – No Goals
Many people get on Social Media for one reason – because everyone else is on it. They have no goals to work towards, no strategy or plan on how to achieve those goals. This is disastrous. For anyone. Not just rookies.
So the first thing you need to do, is to list down a clear set of goals – both long term and short term goals.
You need to list down
- what you hope to achieve (put down long-term and short term goals)
- how long you plan to take to achieve this
- How you plan to measure your activity, etc.
There are many things you can achieve using social media –
- You could build stronger relationships with your customers
- You could attract new customers
- You can learn about your customers
- You could build the popularity of your brand
- You could tell everyone about what your offerings are
- You can find out what people think about you and your business
- And you can find out about the competition
Based on this, you need to list down what you want to achieve –
- Do you want more visitors to your website?
- Do you want to make your brand more popular?
- Do you want to sell a product?
- Do you want keep everyone updated about your new products and services?
- Do you want to establish yourself among a certain audience as a thought-leader?
Each of these goals will have a different trajectory that needs to be followed to achieve them. So, the clearer the goals are, the clearer your strategy will be – and you will achieve Social Media success!
II – Getting on all platforms at one go
This is a huge mistake!
Some folks, jump on every imaginable platform, once they decide they need to be on Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn – you name it? And they are there.
Every platform has a unique set of characteristics that distinguish it from the others. One kind of content will not work on all platforms alike. There are different kinds of people who use different Social Media platforms – the kind of people on Facebook are not the kind that is on LinkedIn. Each platform needs a different kind of content – a “one size fits all” kind of strategy won’t work where they create one kind of content and upload it everywhere.
People think they need to do it all – if they are on just one Social Media platform, they feel that they are not doing enough.
The truth is that they need to go where their target audience is. And they need to engage with them there. And then – based on what they hope to achieve – should they try another platform.
But starting on all platforms in one go, is not the right option – you won’t get anything right!
III – Giving up too easily or quickly
Social Media takes time – it doesn’t happen overnight. People expect to see magical numbers in a few days or weeks. But that might not happen. And people give up.
Don’t give up that easily. Keep going.
It might take a while before your first measurable result shows up. So be patient – you will see more followers or deeper engagement in a matter of weeks. While some short term goals may be achieved in a short time, real Social Media success comes only with a long term effort and commitment.
These are three of the simple misconceptions that anyone can have while getting into Social Media Marketing – and these can be easily avoided.: