Virtual Reality and Digital Marketing
Virtual Reality and Immersive Experiences in Digital Marketing
One of the digital trends that is poised to affect marketing in a big way this year
So what is virtual reality?
This is something that uses computer technology to create an environment that is simulated. It is as if the user in inside an experience and not in front of it, watching it happen. This kind of technology uses the senses of sight, hearing, and touch – maybe even smell to create a reality that is not real. Augmented reality is different from this, in that it just adds or simulates artificial elements in a real scenario, while virtual reality creates a whole new artificial world.
In Virtual Reality, the computer uses sensors and math and places the position of a user’s eyes inside this artificial environment. So if someone turns his head, everything around him changes. So it looks amazingly and convincingly real. The technology uses accurate sounds to create a very immersive experience.
Games use this technology to a large extent. And so does scientific and engineering data which comes to life using this kind of technology. Architects use this and so do meteorologists. Over the years it has found uses in aviation and the military as well as in medicine. Pilots train with virtual cockpits, as do surgeons on virtual patients.
The Virtual Reality Headset has revolutionizes things taking this technology to a whole different level. Large players have done magic with it.
People like Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Sony, to name a few.
So what does this have to do with marketing?
Virtual Reality adds to the marketing potential of an offering in many significant ways. It can help trigger emotional responses in users that were not possible with just images or film or videos.
For example, you can check out a new car, alter the specs and take it out for a spin. All without getting off your couch. Or you could be sitting front row at a concert! You could check out hotel rooms or day care facilities. A new homestead that overlooks the beach – everything from the comfort of your chair.
In other words, Virtual Reality helps marketers give their clients the closest experience they can get from a product, service or place without actually being there. It is the best way to engage one’s customers.
- It gives a customer a very real and tangible experience of any product or service without having to actually make him experience it for real. You don’t need to take him to a holiday destination or on a test drive. He can experience it all.
- A manufacturer can show his customer the way his product is produced – take him through the entire production process if he wants to, to truly demonstrate his adherence to the highest levels of quality!
- Retail experiences can be transformed.
- Brand engagement can be enriched.
- Works great in recruitment and even Market Research.
- Virtual Reality content could be sent to Apps – regular updates and communications with customers could be sent here. This can help build customer engagement to a very large extent.
- There is a theory that email can use this technology to completely change the paradigm of communicating with customers.
People are only starting to sit up and notice this technology. The scope is enormous. Prices will drop and this technology will hit the mainstream soon. And immersive super-engaging marketing will be the order of the day!: