Content Marketing – a Key Aspect of Digital Marketing
Content Marketing is a very important driver of a digital marketing strategy. It could be through a great website or great content on your blog. Content Marketing basically is about creating and sharing content – content that is consistent, relevant and valuable – in order to attract prospects who can be converted into customers. The way to do this is to produce great content that is relevant both to the business as well as to its customers – content that the customers will find interesting.
Aspects of Content Marketing
There are many ways of sharing content digitally. Some of them are –
- White Papers
- Audio content
- Case Studies
So how do you do this effectively? Here are some pointers –
- You first need to have a plan. Why are you creating content? What do you plan to achieve? Who do you want to reach? And how do you plan to go about it. Make sure you have a sound strategy in place before getting into producing content. That is the first and most important step – as everything depends on the answers to those questions – the subject that you would focus on, the way you will say it, tone of voice, everything!
- Quality over Quantity – there is a school of thinking that you need to produce huge volumes of content – but if that content is not great on quality, it is not such a good idea. The whole point of this exercise is to establish you as a thought leader and an expert in this field. Which means, the quality of the content that you put out there, should be great.
- Once you get this content up, you can’t just expect the visitors to come. You need to promote And there are many ways to do this.
- The content should be about something related to your company’s offerings but definitely about subjects your audience would be interested in. Something that would answer a question they had or solved a problem they might be facing. Not blatantly about your products or services. Put yourself in your audience’s shoes and think about what would concern them – their questions, doubts. And address this.
- Don’t just focus on one type of content – mix it up. Let it not just be white papers or case studies – throw in some video or podcasts. Keep it interesting.
- Create content that is shareable. The whole idea of content marketing is to create content that your audience can consume and share with their circles, if they like it. So your job is to produce content that they can pass around – on various social media platforms, for instance, so your reach and circle widens.
- Make sure that your content is optimized for search engines to pick up. Keyword-stuffing is a thing of the past. Makes the content artificial and algorithms these days are smart enough to ignore such content. Build interesting content around words that you think your audience would use to find someone like you. That’s the best kind – the kind that works.
- Create content – post it – and don’t forget to measure it. Only then would you know what would work and what doesn’t and what you need to do about it.
- You don’t always have to create the content that you post. You can curate it as well. The content that you share from other sources are as important as the content that you produce. Find great content produced by others, organize the content you have found and present it well.
Content Marketing does not make the magic happen overnight. It takes time and effort. But when done right, it is a great digital marketing tool.