Videos that Put People Off
Visual Content is big. Everyone knows that.
Infographics. Pictures. Illustrations. Videos.
We all know that videos are huge. Videos are the future. A few years from now, you may not even be reading an article. You would be watching it in some way! According to Cisco, almost 70% of internet traffic would be because of videos. Did you know that YouTube alone gets more than a billion unique visitors every month?
If a picture painted a thousand words, then Forrester research says that a minute of video is equal to 1.8 million words!
People look to videos for information as well as entertainment. And businesses are already seeing the importance of including videos as a part of their content marketing.
And why? Because the reach is incredible and if they catch a viewer’s attention, they will share it instantly with their circles. Research has found that if a person watches a video from a brand, he actually engages more with the brand.
So we are all agreed that video is surely the way to go. And many people are putting up videos.
While all this is great, we need to keep in mind, some of the reasons why some videos don’t work great with audiences –
- If the message of the video is not clear right from the word GO, people are not very happy with it. They even tend to switch their attention to something else, usually some other video and watch that instead. So it is very important to make sure that you do everything you can to get your viewers’ attention from the very first second. They say that you only have about 60 seconds to get your audience’s attention. That’s all you have. So make the most of it.
- The quality of the video is poor. If the playback quality is poor or if the video keeps buffering every few seconds, then you can lose the attention of your viewers very quickly. Don’t hold the camera (or worse, your phone) with an unsteady hand or at a different angle which forces everyone to hold their heads at a different angle to be able to watch it properly. So when you create a video, use the best technology possible and make ones that load quickly and offer great viewing to your audiences.
- A lot of people don’t like an ad before a video plays. It’s worse if the ad is the kind that you cannot skip! Or if there are ads that appear during the video – like commercial breaks – every now and then.
- You remember those annoying videos where the visuals move at a different pace from the audio? Make sure your video is not one of those!
- And one of the most important things, is the time that it takes for a video to load. People are not the most patient when it comes to waiting for a video to load. If it seems to take forever, then you have lost those viewers. They will quickly look for something else to watch.
So use the time effectively. Use your resources optimally. Avoid blunders that can put people off. And make videos that people will love to watch. And love to share!: