The digital marketing journey
Digital Marketing as a catchphrase seems to have taken the world by storm. But the understanding of this phenomenon differs, with most people assuming that e-mail promotions are all there is to know about digital marketing. The truth is that digital marketing has burgeoned from what it was once upon a time into something that is developing fascinating trends year after year. It has become imperative for businesses to appreciate the importance of digital marketing and keep up with the breakneck speed at which it is evolving.
Importance Of Digital Marketing/Holistic Communication
The world is increasingly being driven by digital media with over 70% of the world’s population being connected through some form or the other. Whether it is through the internet or through mobile-based content, people are consuming more and more digital content on an everyday basis. With this being the scenario, digital marketing with its inherent benefits has become an inevitable inclusion while companies plan their marketing spends.
The digital media truly facilitate accountable marketing. The benefits of implementing digital marketing programs include
- Ease of tracking and monitoring results and response
- Comprehension and understanding of audience wants
- Scaling based on test-and target audience response
Journey Of Digital Marketing So Far
Compuserve launched the first commercial e-mail and when it became mainstream marketers got hooked on to it.
1994: the first browser Mosaic Netscape was launched giving marketers the opportunity to create websites dedicated to their businesses.
1995: launch of Amazon website announced the arrival of e-commerce.
The first script was written to produce metrics on the traffic that the websites were getting.
1998: Google was founded and SEO was transformed forever.
Blogs (or weblogs) came to the forefront. Pay Per Click advertising was integrated.
The launch of LinkedIn, MySpace, Facebook etc started the social networking furore.
Today, businesses everywhere are gearing for the all-important and yet inevitable shift from personal computers to mobiles and tablets.
Digital world will never stay the same. Some of the current marketing trends include
· Trust to Advertising
· Geo-location over context
· Big data roll-ups bridge the digital divide between offline and online
· Effective Social media Advertising
· Mobile eye-balls increase
· Latency in ecommerce showing signs of reversal
The Road Ahead
Over the last few years, businesses and marketers have been seeing a tremendous shift away from traditional marketing towards interactive methods like social media, email marketing and search engine marketing. Digital marketing is becoming an increasingly vital part of the marketing mix to help businesses reach new audiences and look after existing customers in a personalized and highly targeted manner.
As mentioned earlier digital marketing cannot completely replace traditional marketing. Marketing mix will always involve a mix of both online and offline tactics and both of these will have the same traditional components to it.
As far as the future is concerned, if the basics of a digital marketing strategy at the moment include email marketing, pay-per-click, search engine optimization, referral and affiliate marketing and increasingly social media, then the digital marketing strategies of tomorrow will likely include the same. The innovation that represents the future of digital marketing is primarily in how each channel is represented, managed and utilized – focusing more on value to the end user and striving to maximize their experience beyond anything else.
Where The World Is
Digital marketing trends are changing globally.
- Search Engine Optimization will become more content driven than it has been in the recent past due to Google’s change of search algorithm.
- Mobiles and tablets are becoming the foremost medium to access the internet rather than PCs and laptops.
- Marketing budgets are shifting from the traditional methods to social platforms with facebook at the head of the line.
- The importance of video is increasing with Youtube videos going viral and creating a much better visibility than ever imagined.